Territory Health Fund is a registered business name of Queensland Country Health Fund Ltd (ABN 18 085 048 237) (‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’) is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act). This Policy contains information about how we deal with your personal information.
We may modify this Policy from time to time without notice to you.
We value your trust in us as a Private Health Insurer. It is important for us to protect and keep your personal information, including your health information, securely and, as a Private Health Insurer, to keep your health information confidential. To achieve this we are committed to complying with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) when we collect, hold and manage your personal information, that is, information that allows others to identify you.
- the kinds of personal information we collect and hold
- how we collect and hold personal information
- the purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
- how the customer can access the personal information we hold
- how the customer can seek to correct the personal information we hold
- how the customer can make a complaint about the way we have collected, held, used or disclosed their personal information
- whether we are likely to disclose a customer’s personal information to overseas recipients and if so, the countries to which disclosure is likely to be.
It also sets out your privacy rights - what you can do to have information corrected and what to do if you have a dispute with us about your privacy rights.
Personal information we collect and hold
We will collect:
|Your name and date of birth|
|Your postal and email addresses, phone numbers|
|Government identifiers||Medicare Card number|
|Financial information||Bank account and/or credit card details for payment of your premiums and payment of benefits, as well as information relating to hardship suspension applications|
|Historical information||Information about your prior insurance claims and health fund membership|
We will only collect personal information that is related to our providing, or arranging others to provide, private health insurance products and services.
How we collect personal information
We only collect personal information about you in the manner permitted by the Privacy Act. We may collect your personal information from you in a number of different ways including in person, by phone, through our website or by email.
We may also collect your personal information from third parties such as from our health service providers. We may also collect your personal information from organisations engaged by us to carry out functions on our behalf such as claims administration and audit.
How we hold personal information
We hold your personal information in either electronic or paper files. As we have a commitment to ensure all personal information is held securely, we have in place security systems to protect information from unauthorised access. We also limit access to our authorised personnel and only as needed.
Where personal information is no longer needed for any of our functions or activities, we ensure that the information is destroyed securely or de-identified.
Why we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We collect and use personal information for a number of purposes, such as:
- providing you with health insurance products and services
- performing the functions and activities related to our business such as processing your claims and paying your benefits
- managing our relationship with you including by contacting you about our products and services, news or community events which we think may be of interest to you
- conducting market or customer satisfaction research.
We also collect and hold personal information as otherwise required by law.
We will also collect information about payment of your premiums – whether you have paid on time, when payments are due and when actually paid.
We will notify you of the main reason for collecting your personal information at the time of collection.
In providing our products and services to you, it may be necessary for us to disclose personal information to other organisations. We only disclose personal information to the extent necessary and to the extent required by law. The types of organisations that we can disclose personal information to are:
- hospitals, medical and ancillary service providers and other health insurers
- professional advisors
- regulatory bodies
- technology providers
- contractors for member benefit statement and other printing and mail outs market research or direct marketing
- affiliated product and service suppliers to provide information to you about their services and products
- debt collection agencies or process servers
- Australian Health Service Alliance (AHSA)
- Australian Regional Health Group (ARHG)
- other external service providers who the Health Fund engages from time to time to carry out, or advise on, its functions and activities
- our internal and external auditors.
We will also disclose personal information to law enforcement and government agencies as required by law.
Disclosure to overseas recipients
We do not currently disclose customers’ personal information to overseas recipients.
How you can access and/or correct your personal information
You can request access to your personal information at any time. If the information we hold is incorrect, you can request us to correct it.
You can make a request by contacting us by email, telephone or online. Contact details can be found on this website. Correction of some personal information can also be made by you through Online Member Services.
We currently do not charge any fees for giving customers access to their personal information.
We may however charge a fee for the reasonable cost of providing photocopies of documents requested by you.
Making a complaint
We offer an internal complaint resolution scheme which any customer can access at any time without charge. You can make a privacy complaint in the following ways:
- by calling us on 1800 623 893
- by email to in[email protected]
- our website at www.territoryhealth.com.au
- in writing to:
Queensland Country Health Fund Ltd trading as Territory Health Fund
GPO Box 1265
Darwin NT 0801
We will endeavour to promptly respond to your questions, concerns or complaints. We will also endeavour to resolve any concerns or complaints which you may have to your satisfaction. However, if you are unhappy with our response, you can complain to the Office of the Australian Information Privacy Commissioner or the Private Health Insurance Ombudsman.