There is something nostalgic about banana bread. Maybe it's the warm scent of spices wafting through the house that can spark the memory of visiting Grandma for morning tea.
There is no right or wrong way to make banana bread, but here is one recipe with a blueberry twist that we love from our friends at the Heart Foundation.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- Canola oil spray
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup reduced fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (this should give you roughly a cup of mashed banana)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven 190°C (170°C fan-forced). Grease a 13.5cm x 24cm (base measurement) loaf pan with cooking spray and line with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spice into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar. Combine the milk, eggs and banana in a bowl then gently stir into the flour mixture until just combined.
3. Spoon into loaf pan, sprinkle in the blueberries and gently poke them into the batter with your fingertips, smooth the surface.
4. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 10 minutes in the pan before lifting onto a wire rack. Serve warm, toasted or at room temperature.